IslamicTeachings.org

85 - الْمُقْسِطُ

الْمُقْسِطُ

Translation

الْمُقْسِطُ is translated as "the equitable" and "the just". He is the One Who dispenses justice.

Definition 

Two definitions are mentioned under this name:

1. Al-Muqsit is understood to mean "The Just."

2. Imam Haleemi, may Allah's mercy be upon him, says: "He is Al-Muqsit, exalted is His majesty, who gives justice to His servants and is inherently just."

Thus, if one contemplates His system of justice is prevalent throughout the entire cosmos.

Allah says:

"You will not see any disparity in the creation of the Most Merciful." (Qur'an)

Only Al-Muqsit is the true just

Al-Muqsit is the one who delivers the oppressed from the oppressor, and the epitome of this is achieving the satisfaction of both the oppressed and the oppressor, which is a supreme level of justice and fairness that only Allah can achieve.

An example of this narration is:

Once, the Prophet (peace be upon him) laughed until his front teeth were visible. Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) asked: "O Messenger of Allah! May my parents be sacrificed for you, what made you laugh?" He replied: "Two men from my Ummah will kneel before Allah. One will say: 'O Lord! Grant me retribution from this person.' Allah will tell the other to grant his brother retribution. He will say: 'O Lord of Glory! I have no good deeds left.' Allah will then tell the claimant: 'What do you intend to do with your brother now that he has no good deeds left?' He will say: 'O Lord! Let him bear my sins.'

At this moment, the Prophet (peace be upon him) wept and said that this will be a great day when people will wish for others to bear their sins.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) continued: 'Then Allah will tell the claimant: "Raise your eyes and look." He will say: "O Lord! I see cities of silver and palaces of gold adorned with pearls. For which Prophet, righteous person, or martyr are these?" Allah will reply: "For whoever can pay the price." He will say: "O Lord! In exchange for what can I purchase it?" Allah Almighty will say, "In exchange for forgiving your brother." He will say, "O Lord! I have forgiven him." Allah Almighty will say, "Take your brother's hand and lead him to Paradise." Then the Prophet (صلی الله عليه وسلم) said, "Fear Allah and mend your mutual relationships because Allah will reconcile the believers on the Day of Judgment. The true path of justice is this, and only the Lord of all lords is capable of it."

In the Qur'an

Allah, the Lord of Honor, has said:

يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ كُونُوا۟ قَوَّٰمِينَ بِٱلْقِسْطِ شُهَدَآءَ لِلَّهِ وَلَوْ عَلَىٰٓ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَوِ ٱلْوَٰلِدَيْنِ وَٱلْأَقْرَبِينَ ۚ إِن يَكُنْ غَنِيًّا أَوْ فَقِيرًۭا فَٱللَّهُ أَوْلَىٰ بِهِمَا ۖ فَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا۟ ٱلْهَوَىٰٓ أَن تَعْدِلُوا۟ ۚ وَإِن تَلْوُۥٓا۟ أَوْ تُعْرِضُوا۟ فَإِنَّ ٱللَّهَ كَانَ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرًۭا

"O believers! Stand firm for justice as witnesses for Allah even if it is against yourselves, your parents, or close relatives. Be they rich or poor, Allah is best to ensure their interests. So do not let your desires cause you to deviate ˹from justice˺. If you distort the testimony or refuse to give it, then ˹know that˺ Allah is certainly All-Aware of what you do."

(Surah an-Nisa 135)

In these blessed verses, Allah Almighty commands His servants to establish justice and not to deviate even slightly from it. No blame or opposition should hinder the establishment of justice, and they should assist and support each other in this endeavor.

Counsel

(1) From these two incidents, we should learn the importance of justice. A father should deal justly with his children and should never make a decision against one by only listening to the other.

(2) The highest share of this name for a person is that he first ensures justice for others from himself, and then ensures justice for one person from another. He should believe that no one is more just than Allah (i.e., do not expect justice from anyone other than Allah).

(3) One should always pray for justice in every matter from Allah. A prayer from Hadith states:

Translation: "O Allah, I ask You for moderation and justice in every condition, whether in wealth or poverty."

*~~*~~*